Yes, I will finish the Yusuf/Ireland story, it really is too good not to tell. I have started writing it a hundred times, then somehow I get lost in a different thought, a moment, or get distracted by something shiney–oooooh! Anyway, as long as this is my last post of 2009, I have a few things to reflect on and I am not going to let unfinished business get in the way, yet again.
2009: What can I say about you? Nothing personal but holy shit, good bye. But also, thank you.
- A year mostly marked by my total and complete submission to depression. And holy shit-balls if I am still in the thick of it. But, for the first time, I am not running away, pushing it down or aside or in. Nope, I am fully in it, dealing and working my way out.
- General Convention for the Episcopal Church: IntegrityUSA, Episcopalians for Global Reconciliation, and a whole lot of Episco-geekery. All in all, I liked summer camp with my episco-pals. But it was hard work–and looking at it now, from a distance, it nearly killed me. So glad I got to do it, met some amazing people, many who I would consider as close and loved as my own family. Next time, two words: self care.
- Face-crack, tweeter-twattering and social media: My blogs and writing have suffered in 09. However, I have learned a lot, connected with some pretty fabulous folks—some from the way back machine, and some I have only met online. I miss my bloggy friends, their lives and the conversations that are more than 140 characters long. I have been a horrible reader and commenter. I will be looking for ways to swing the pendulum back the other way, towards writing and connecting.
- Real food. Its taken me nearly all year, but I think I have finally made a huge dent in the crap in crap out war. Supplements, more water, a more color-filled plate, less to almost no processed food. Now, I still have a HUGE way to go on losing weight and regular exercise, but I finally feel like I know what goes into my body and accept responsibility for it.
- Lost my girl parts and got a hysterectomy. It just is quite frankly the best decision I ever couldn't wait to make. I am not kidding when I say I wake up almost every day grateful for it. Seriously.
- I left my job and am not sure what is next for me in this department. I bid your thoughts, suggestions, prayers, ideas, connections, job offers. Will I remain a church professional (now THAT is a weird term), will I go back to slingin' drinks? Will I head in a totally new direction? School perhaps? Will I finally open or at least start to make actual plans towards opening my own joint? Its all a blank slate in 2010. Still hoping to hear from you on this post.
- Travel in 09 was wow, a lot now that I think about it. Denver, Atlanta, South Dakota, New York, Anaheim, San Francisco (twice!), Boston, the cabin and Eau Claire in Wisconsin, and who could forget, Dublin Ireland. Incredible. Blessed.
- Christianity 21. Mind is still reeling and blown. Too many people and moments to mention, but you–yeah you–you know who you are. Changed. My. Life. So grateful.
- My beautiful partner still loves me, is about the most beautiful, most often breath-taking woman I have ever met, and call beloved. Truly, still going strong in honeymoon phase 3+ years in. I love you sweetie, more than words.
So those are the highlights (and lowlights) as I can remember them. Of course there are many more (family moving, church hopping, new blog, book reading, friend meeting, etc.) moments not captured above, but I am looking forward to welcoming in 2010.
Welcome 2010. I am open for whatever you got. Bring it.